LOVE

love love love... love is all around you. she loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah. love is a many-splendored thing. love lifts us up where we belong. all you need is love. close your eyes and i'll kiss you. love love love...

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Yay, LOVE!

Lately it's come to my attention that even when you think your relationship is stable and bump proof, something will always inevitably come along to throw you in the ditch. Case in point: recent argument over lack of time spent with spouse.

So my husband decides he's going to wait until late in the evening (about 9 p.m.) to do his work out routine, then watch his war show on HBO he's tivoed. He comes in to say goodnight to me (I need to wake up extra early the next day and am in bed early), by passing the bed on his way out the door, hand on the doorknob, and a quick "Goodnight, Baby!" as he prepares to bail. A more level headed me would have been a bit taken aback by this, but would NOT have launched into an hour and a half argument/conversation about how this made me feel unappreciated and not valued.

As I was listening to my 19 year old daughter talk about her frustrations with her boyfriend whom she now lives with, I began to feel like a major hypocrite. How could I honestly give love advice when I clearly still suffer from crazy woman issues myself occasionally? I reminded myself that it is not the norm for my husband and I to argue. Then I decided to tell my daughter the details of the fight, and how that yes, even though my husband was probably insensitive and not as sweet as he could have been when saying his drive by and wave goodnight to me, I could have been more adult about it and just shrugged it off.

What happened was I illustrated perfectly that even when you have a very strong foundation and a fully committed and happy marriage, it's not always respectful and considerate give and take. Sometime it's all take. And yelling (not a lot of yelling, just a little bit).

But what secures my marriage and makes me rest easy, is knowing absolutely that my husband loves me, even when I'm being crazy, and that I without a doubt love him, even when he's being a duffus. Young relationships don't always have the luxury of such stability.

So I guess my point is, everyone is going to make mistakes in love, even in the happiest of marriages. My husband and I worked things out, and after a few tears and a bit of talking over each other, we settled down and had a discussion, the way good married people do. And the result was a great - and much needed - resolution.

Love gives you the ability to admit you're wrong. Love gives you the ability to listen with your heart. So even though sometimes, YES... you may want to strangle this person or have a magic remote that enables you to "mute" them... love can remind you at just the right time that it's not about keeping score, it's not about who was right or wrong. Life, love and relationships are about being kind, considerate and supporting the other person. Even when you don't entirely agree with what they're doing. <3 YAY, LOVE!<3

No comments:

Post a Comment